lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Using 2 MACs with LwIP

From: Adam Fullerton
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Using 2 MACs with LwIP
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 13:15:20 +0000

I don't know if other stack's support this as I only implemented it for lwIP. The only time it was not a problem was when the peripheral was configured as a boundary clock and then two different subnets could be used.

The IEEE15888 peripheral in question had two ports and messages are "bridged" between the ports with corrected timer values. So they are all on the same subnet. Hence the "network switch" type solution to the problem.

On 09/01/2014 09:16, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
The problem that I found was that unless the network interfaces were on different sub-nets
> then lwIP would send the response to the first interface.
> This behaviour may be OK for some applications but in my IEEE15888 application this was a problem.

You're right that lwIP is not designed to work with 2 interfaces in the same subnet (e.g. like in a line topology). But this is a routing problem only. Do other IP stacks support this? Normally, I'd expect that for an IEEE1588 solution, you would need a single interface in lwIP and a 2-port switch instead of a single PHY that does the port selection for you. Instead, you could tell the stack on which interface to send specific packets if you don't need to control this for all packets (although this doesn't allow you to work in a line topology).

Simon