lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP for safety applications

From: Johan Englund
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP for safety applications
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:32:55 +0200

On 2013-06-25 20:24, Pomeroy, Marty wrote:
I am familiar with 61508 but never had to develop under it.  And while I
am a big fan of lwIP, I would be concerned about using it in a 61508
application - you might spend far more effort in certification than
porting it.

Let me push back a bit - Do you really need a full stack in a
"minimalistic bareboard"?  What traffic types are you going to use?  A
stack is useful when you have many traffic types.

True, we will only use ARP & UDP and we could probably do without ARP if we really have to. Backup solution if memory protection is deemed to be insufficient will be to roll our own UDP parser. Should not be too difficult but I'm still guessing that we'll have to invest a considerable amount of time to get it as stable and well tested as those parts of lwIP are now.

Thanks again for insightful comments.

Johan