lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] ARP Request breaking Telnet traffic

From: Ueli Niederer
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] ARP Request breaking Telnet traffic
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:01:21 +0200

Hi Daniel

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the Wireshark trace and had a look at it. For next time I'd recommend you to post some additional Information as e.g. which IP is the PC and which one is the lwIP device.

From your trace I'd say you have the following devices in your Network:
  172.16.1.7 is the lwIP device
  172.16.1.34 is your PC
  172.16.1.11 a Zyxel device (Router or similar)

Can you confirm that?

What I see after briefly looking at the trace is the following:
- As bill already mentioned, the MAC address of the lwIP device changes from Frame 13 to Frame 14 - I guess the change of the MAC address leads to the gratitous ARP reply (Frame 14) or did you filter out the request packet?
 - although the Zyxel device issues an ARP request, no one answers
- The behaviour from Frame 17 on looks as if the device completely lost the PCB of your previously active Connection. (Maybe due to the MAC Change?) - If you look at Frame 20, you can observe that the Zyxel device seems to take the same IP address as your lwIP device (172.16.1.7) This is also a possible explaination for the ARP request by the device with Zyxel MAC (possibly powering up at Frame 16) - Packets after Frame 24 (e.g. Frame 25) Show the MAC address previous to Frame 14

I think the root causees are the change of the MAC address and the appearance of the Zyxel device....

I recommend to retest your Connection in a seperate network setup.

Regards
Ueli

Quoting Daniel <address@hidden>:

Hi Ueli

Thank you for you reply. I actually forgot the attachment!

Here it comes.
wireshark_ARP_breakdown_excerpt2.pcapng
<http://lwip.100.n7.nabble.com/file/n21586/wireshark_ARP_breakdown_excerpt2.pcapng>

Regards,