lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] STABLE-1.4.1 IPv6 Initialization Examples or Guidance

From: Ivan Delamer
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] STABLE-1.4.1 IPv6 Initialization Examples or Guidance
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:42:51 -0700 (MST)

> Ivan,
>
> Thanks for the feedback; I'll give that a try.
>
> I've also since discovered that netif->ip6_autoconfig_enabled must be
> explicitly set to 1. Which is somewhat confusing since I thought that's
> what would have happened when I asserted LWIP_IPV6_AUTOCONFIG in
> lwipopts.h.
>
> So, if the link local address must be set manually, what is it that
> ip6_autoconfig / LWIP_IPV6_AUTOCONFIG is supposed to accomplish?

Good question.

LWIP_IPV6_AUTOCONFIG enables the autoconfig code, if this is disabled the
code is not included in order to save memory.

You can then choose on each netif whether you want address
autoconfiguration to happen or not via netif->ip6_autoconfig_enabled = 1

With multiple netifs, this may or may not be required, so you can set it
individually.

The question is, should the default be netif->ip6_autoconfig_enabled = 1?
I'm happy setting it manually per netif, I guess the solution is to
document this better.

Cheers
Ivan