lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] multiple IP addresses on network interface

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] multiple IP addresses on network interface
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:00:28 +0100

Artem Pisarenko wrote:

> This topic was discussed earlier on mailing list
> (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lwip-users/2011-03/msg00024.html) and
> there are people interested in this feature.
>
> I'm aware of solution to use multiple netifs on single driver. Simon said
> that he did it successfully but I faced with a lot of problems trying to
> implement it in my driver because of ethernetif_input() ambiguity. Simple
> solutions such as accepting packet on any one assigned netif or accepting
> packet on all assigned netifs aren't suitable. Driver has to be very smart
> and analyze packet with code taken from lwip core to determine which assigned
> netif it should be sent to.
> [..]
> Could you provide with fast workaround at this moment ?

I'd have to look at the sources to tell how I did it in detail, but I think I
mainly accepted broadcasts on e first netif and otherwise inspected the packet
to match the IP header destination address with the correct netif.

I'm aware though that supporting multiple addresses on one netif would be the
cleaner solution. Since we already will be needing this feature for IPv6, we
could implement it for v4, too, one day...

Simon