lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Being notified of an address conflict when setting addr

From: Mason
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Being notified of an address conflict when setting address manually
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 10:20:40 +0200

Bill Auerbach wrote:

> Mason wrote:
>
>> Maybe we could detect the problem there, and set the interface down?
>> Then the netif_status callback would be called, and the user could
>> decide to use a different address?
>>
>> What is the best strategy here to be notified of a "wrong" choice
>> for a static address (address already in use).
>>
>> In the general case, does lwip try to detect when other systems
>> are using the same IP address?
>
> You could enable AutoIp which does resolve conflicts.

IMO, autoIP is the answer to a different question. Namely, one
wants automatic configuration, but without a DHCP server. In my
case, there's a pre-existing network, and all I want is to
detect a misconfiguration (human error) to be able to warn the
user that the address he chose is already in use.

lwip does send a "gratuitous ARP" when the netif is set up,
which allows desktop OS such as Windows to warn of an address
conflict, but I was hoping to have the same kind of pop-up
warning on the set-top box.

--
Regards.