lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP performance with FreeRTOS

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP performance with FreeRTOS
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:33:42 +0100

Chris Ponder <address@hidden> wrote:

> Should I be looking more at lwIP (adding LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOCKING made quite
> an improvement) or is this a FreeRTOS thing?

That's a good question, I'm afraid I can't answer it. I haven't used the
netconn API when performance was needed, and I haven't ever benchmarked it.

Is the rest of your application the same? In other words, are you using the
same pbuf/netbuf type (allocated and creating the data into it vs. sending by
reference)? Are there many thread switches  from/to your application thread?
Keep in mind that response packets are still passed into the tcpip_thread, so
there may still be many (potentially slow) thread changes if you are using a
ping-pong protocol where every packet sent results in a packet received (no
matter how big that's, of course).

As to FreeRTOS, I can't comment on that, I haven't really used it, yet.

Simon