lwip-users

[lwip-users] netif output return value

From: Tyrel Newton
Subject: [lwip-users] netif output return value
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:54:05 -0700

I'm working on a netif driver that can output IP packets via the ip_output_if function. I'm curious how I should handle the case if a packet cannot be output in reasonably short amount of time. In other words, should I return ERR_TIMEOUT or should I wait indefinitely until I can send the packet. In tracing through the code, I see that the tcp_output functions ignore the return values by the ip_output functions (which are passed through from the netif output function). The udp_output functions ultimately pass the netif return value up to the calling application. I guess my question is, what is the best way to handle dropped packets at the netif level? Silently drop them? Drop them and set the link down? Drop them and return a particular error code? It seems like silently dropping them is the best way to proceed.

Thanks,

Tyrel