lwip-users

[lwip-users] memory pools question

From: jblackarty
Subject: [lwip-users] memory pools question
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:30:59 +0700

Hi all,

I faced with problem and founded that this issue was discussed
vigorously at "[lwip-users] about memory problem" in 2008 and still remained
opened !

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:14:32 +0100 Kieran Mansley wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 17:56 +0800, yueyue papa wrote:
>> If onlye enable
>>  */
>> #ifndef MEM_USE_POOLS
>> #define MEM_USE_POOLS                   1
>> #endif
>>
>> /**
>>  * MEMP_USE_CUSTOM_POOLS==1: whether to include a user file lwippools.h
>>  * that defines additional pools beyond the "standard" ones required
>>  * by lwIP. If you set this to 1, you must have lwippools.h in your
>>  * inlude path somewhere.
>>  */
>> #ifndef MEMP_USE_CUSTOM_POOLS
>> #define MEMP_USE_CUSTOM_POOLS           0
>> #endif
>
> I've had a look at the code, and that combination is not supported. You
> should see an error like this one when you try and compile it:
>
> ../../../../../lwip/src/core/init.c:156:4: #error "MEM_USE_POOLS
> requires custom pools (MEMP_USE_CUSTOM_POOLS) to be enabled in your
> lwipopts.h"
>
>> If i switch enable MEMP_USE_CUSTOM_POOLS , default windows build is ok.
>
> That is the right thing to do, and as it builds OK then it sounds like
> there's no error.  You'll also need to write an lwippools.h if you've
> not already done so; see here for documentation:
>
> http://lwip.scribblewiki.com/Custom_memory_pools
>
> Kieran

WHY "MEM_USE_POOLS requires custom pools", rather than vice versa ???
It's not right thing to provide unnecessary user-defined pools to get standard
pools working. Please explain, or my brain will be broken.

P.S.: I think yueyue papa wanted to get answer exactly on this
question.

Regards,
Artem Pisarenko