lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip140 Tx performance is lower than lwip130performance

From: Jordan Dean
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip140 Tx performance is lower than lwip130performance
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:54:42 -0500

Please note, (I've mentioned this on the list before)  if you are using the Xilinx program templates for your code, they are INCORRECT, it "works" with 1.3.2 but will only run for ~10min (or a few hours depending on your application) with 1.4

First off, I get about 15% better TX (which is all our application cares about for speed) with 1.4, also zero copy actually works, which is a huge improvement.

Maybe I'll add this to the wiki someplace, but here's what you need to fix.

Anyway, the Xilinx examples call tcp_fast_tmr and slow_tmr from within the timer interrupt, this is NOT CORRECT, what you need to do is set a flag like do_fast_tcp=1 from the timer interrupt.  Then in your main program loop you need to check for those flags and call the appropriate timer from the main program (not the interrupt context).  TRUST ME this will save you more headaches than just speed, I spent 2 weeks tracking down weird issues with this.

If you don't call these correctly you'll eventually end up with some weird race conditions deep in the tcp stack.

-Jordan Dean