lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Custom memory management

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Custom memory management
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 16:10:07 +0200

You're right, that won't get too easy.

For the RX side, using a *custom* PBUF_REF would be the best solution. That's a pbuf that has a 'freed' callback and references external memory. However, that doesn't work, yet (though I planned to add support for it as I can see it's one possible solution to implement DMA MAC drivers). The problem here is that pbuf_header() can't grow such pbufs (as it doesn't know the original length). This would have to be fixed by changing the struct pbuf (if only for PBUF_REF pbufs).

As to the TX side: normally, TX pbufs are allocated as PBUF_RAM, the memory for that is taken from the heap by calling mem_malloc(). Now the simple solution would be to just replace mem.c by your own code allocating and freeing from your TX pool: with the correct settings, mem_malloc() isn't used for anything else buf PBUF_RAM pbufs. The only problem might be that you don't know in advance how big the memory blocks are (and thus how big your TX buffer entries should be), but by using TCP_OVERSIZE, you can just use the maximum ethernet frame size (if you don't mind wasting some RAM for smaller packets).

Simon

Mason wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to port lwip 1.4.0 to OS21/OS+ for several
weeks. I am very stuck on the aspect of buffer management,
because what lwip expects seems incompatible with the way
things work on this platform.

Here's a short description:

At init, I specify how many RX buffers and TX buffers I want
the OS to manage. The OS allocates these buffers along with
associated "descriptors". Thus, the OS manages an RX pool
and a (separate) TX pool.

When a packet is received, an IRQ handler grabs a buffer from
the RX pool, copies the packet to this buffer, then calls a
user-defined function. When the packet is no longer needed,
software is supposed to return it to the RX pool by calling
a particular function.

When software wants to send a packet, it requests a buffer from
the TX pool, copies its data to the buffer, then requests an
asynchronous TX. This function returns immediately, but the
packet is only sent "sometime later". When it has effectively
been sent, an IRQ handler calls a second user-defined function,
which is responsible for returning the packet to the TX pool.

Can someone explain how to make lwip happy with this buffer
management model, without using memcpy, i.e. having lwip
deal directly with the buffers from TX pool and RX pool?

I've come up with a slightly hackish solution to deal with
receiving, but I don't see how to make sending work?

(Aside from copying the pbuf to a TX pool buffer in
low_level_ouput, which I'm desperately trying to avoid.)

I would really appreciate a gentle nudge in the right direction.