lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DHCP, switch to static IP if no answer

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DHCP, switch to static IP if no answer
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:03:14 -0400

Yes, I know it can be a problem, but it was more important that our devices
could be found quickly by a discovery program than by the (probably rare)
occurrence of a slow DHCP server.

But, you got me thinking...  it would be interesting if devices had AutoIP
addresses while waiting for the DHCP server.  Wouldn't it make sense to
provide an AutoIP address immediately to be able to talk to and/or find
devices and let the DHCP code change it when (or if) the address is
assigned?

Bill