lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] "flow control" manipulation with lwIP-1.3.2

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] "flow control" manipulation with lwIP-1.3.2
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:10:03 +0100

On 30 Mar 2011, at 08:02, Thomas Richter (TCD - DE/Dresden) wrote:

> For this I would using the parameter "window" in TCP header and set them
> to 0 with lwIP. But what can I do to generate this?

There's no API to do this directly, and you still might not get what you want.
Although you would be advertising a zero window, you would previously have a
advertised a non-zero window, and the sender would be free to continue to use
that non-zero window until it was all used up.  You could go some way to
avoiding this by always keeping the advertised window small but this would
limit the performance you could achieve.

I think your best approach would be to use something other than TCP which is
more well suited to your needs.  You could for example layer something on top
of UDP that would have the right semantics, but this would need you to be able
to modify the application at both ends of the connection, and as you've not
described what you're doing I'm not sure if that would be possible.

Thanks

Kieran