lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] tcp_write() errors on snd_queuelen

From: Tim Lambrix
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] tcp_write() errors on snd_queuelen
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:23:12 +0000

I want to thank you all for your help and information.  It has certainly been
appreciated is solving this problem I have had for quite a while.

A few more questions: What are the performance tradeoffs of a larger TCP_MSS
versus a smaller one when calling tcp_write with a typical 40 byte write?
Obviously, I want to keep the memory requirements as small as possible but be
able to handle the load in (practically) any network.

I see the default for MEM_SIZE is only 1600.  I have mine set to 22K but is
this really necessary?  How should one go about picking reasonable values for
memory and TCP requirements that are sufficient?  Is there a formula or
calculation for any of these based on the frequency that tcp_write is called?

While running yesterday on with the TCP_QLEN_DEBUG enabled, I saw two times
that over a second went by that no tcp_recieve was called and therefore the
snd_queuelen value reached the TCP_SND_QUEUELEN limit I have set in the options
file.  Is this typical and what approach would you recommend such that this
doesn't happen - keep growing the TCP_SND_QUEUELEN or is there something else
not configured correctly (perhaps the TCP_WND not being at least 2* or 4* the
TCP_MSS)?