lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] MSS Configuration Difficulty

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] MSS Configuration Difficulty
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:38:47 +0100

Am 14.02.11 15:30, schrieb address@hidden:
What I'm unsure of is whether the IP fragmentation code can tolerate
this misconfiguration of the MTU, or whether there is likely an error
in the fragmentation code, or perhaps in one of our drivers.
The MTU is correct (set to 1500), only the MSS is "misconfigured". However, this is exactly what the IP fragmentation code should do: split packets that are too long into multiple packets of correct size. It's a bit odd to configure the stack in a way that every outgoing packet has to be processed, but it shouldn't break it.

Therefore, I'm with Kieran to suspect the problem being either a bug in lwIP which is already fixed or in your driver or port, since I haven't seen such a problem, yet.

BTW, regarding the optimal MSS setting: 1460 is the one you'll want. The TCP code takes care of leaving room in the segments if options are required so that data + options == 1460.

Simon