lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Sending to broadcast address 192.168.2.255

From: Marco Jakobs
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Sending to broadcast address 192.168.2.255
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:04:23 +0200

Hi Kieran,

my netmask is a bit more extended, it's set to 255.255.240.0 as the PC's are in a different subnet and they must be able to access the devices by telnet, web and TFTP. So the decision for a broadcast is determined by the netmask and an octet of "255" and the end does not mean a broadcast to the subnet?

The broadcast packets i've seen on the PC with the same netmask were caused by a different behaviour of windows: It also ARPs (i've not seen this in the previous trace), and then send it as a broadcast after the ARPs timed out. Not that good idea for LwIP as the packets must all be buffered until the ARP has timed out ...

So i've changed it back to a general broadcast in my project ;-)

Marco