lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] TCP Throughput. Great work

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] TCP Throughput. Great work
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:27:51 +1200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Williams" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:04 PM
Subject: [lwip-users] TCP Throughput. Great work

In message <address@hidden>, David Empson
<address@hidden> writes
Everything looks normal up to packet 39. Between packet 2 and 39 you're
transferring about 5 MB/s. The two window updates indicate points at which
the application on the PC read data from the TCP stack, allowing the PC to
report that it had more space to receive data.

Can I just say what a great analysis of a wire shark output this is.
detailed and yet concise!

Thanks for the kind words.

You should set up a web page to teach us all how to use wireshark better.

Hard to say whether I could do that usefully. Much of what I spotted in that capture was due to intuitively spotting patterns and significant numbers (which I'm good at), and that quickly led to an analysis of the likely problems. I wasn't looking any deeper than the main list of packets and the detailed information about the TCP headers to see the sequence numbers and packet lengths (for packets where the summary line in the list of packets hides that level of detail).

There can be interaction with the implementation of TCP stacks, for example I had to assume the window size from the PC end was behaving "normally", i.e. decreasing as long as data was arriving but not being delivered to the application, and an increase implied the data was being read.

I've looked at other captures that people have posted but some problems are harder to analyse or not enough information is available merely from the packets transmitted and received without also having matching debug output from LWIP (which I find difficult to parse, so I usually don't have time to put enough effort into it).

Cheers