lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] upgrading 1.3.2 to CVS

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] upgrading 1.3.2 to CVS
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:29:47 +0200

Your assumptions are correct: application threads may not use sys_timeout any more (and I hope they didn't, before). The timeout implementation was just broken in a few ways: the biggest bug was that timeouts fired nearly everywhere - you just had to pend on a semaphore or mbox. Now the internal timeouts are handled at a defined state in tcpip_thread (or for NO_SYS==1 when calling the timer-check-function).

Simon

Tyrel Newton wrote:
I just upgraded my application from using 1.3.2 to the latest CVS head.
The biggest change for me was reworking the majority of my
FreeRTOS-based sys_arch layer. The one thing I'm still a little fuzzy on
is the new timer implementation. Previously, I had to store a pointer to
the head sys_timeout structure (or whatever it was called) within the
thread control structure, since previously "timeouts were handled on a
per-thread basis". To me, this means that application-level threads
should no longer use the lwIP-provided timeout mechanisms, but rather
the mechanisms provided directly by the underlying port layer.

A little clarification (or at least expansion on the explanations in the
changelog) on how timeouts are handled in the latest version would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyrel