lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Delay at startup to answer with gateway

From: Jeff Barber
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Delay at startup to answer with gateway
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 08:10:16 -0500

This sounds a lot like a Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) effect.
However, that doesn't exactly match your description of the topology
so I'm not sure.

I have an lwIP device on a remote network segment and each time it's
rebooted (and hence, loses and regains link), it's inaccessible for a
fixed period until the switch to which it attaches moves the port to
'forwarding' mode.  We were able to reduce but not eliminate the
duration by reconfiguring the switch (maybe changing from ordinary STP
to RSTP ["Rapid" STP] -- something like that; I didn't actually do it
myself so I'm not sure).  As I recall, the time went from about 35
seconds to about 20.

Jeff