lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip and OS - memory management

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip and OS - memory management
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:45:10 +0000

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 13:16 +0100, Martin Velek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running a lwip 1.3.2 with FreeRTOS. I am using own
> malloc/free/calloc/realloc memory management. What should I setup in
> the lwipopts.h if I would like use only malloc/free... functions for
> pbuf's, internal sturctures (arp tables?) and OS support?
>
> Currently I have:
>
> #define SYS_LIGHTWEIGHT_PROT            1
> #define NO_SYS                                             0
>
> #include <stdlib.h> // there are undeclared referneces to free...
> #define MEM_LIBC_MALLOC                 1
> #define MEMP_MEM_MALLOC                 1
> #define MEM_USE_POOLS                   0
>
> Can I do not care about PBUF_POOL_SIZE,

As you've set MEMP_MEM_MALLOC to 1 you will be using malloc instead of
memp_malloc, and so the PBUF_POOL_SIZE is irrelevant.

> MEM_SIZE,

This would normally specify the heap size used for mem_malloc, so you
don't need it. You might want to check that mem_init isn't called to
avoid wasting memory.

> MEMP_NUM_PBUF,
> MEMP_NUM_NETBUF, etc?

As you've defined MEMP_MEM_MALLOC to 1 the other MEMP_ values are all
unused I think.  You should probably still set them to zero rather than
undefined though.

If you have problems with any of this let us know as the dependencies
are complex and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a mistake
somewhere.

Kieran