lwip-users

[lwip-users] lwIP - NAT implementation

From: Christian Walter
Subject: [lwip-users] lwIP - NAT implementation
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:21:41 +0200

Hello,

I have checked the old NAT implementation and found that it had some problems which I shall summarize below:

- It interfaces directly between the low level interfaces and the lwIP stack and therefore you will come into problems if you have different interfaces (PPP and Ethernet) - It does not work with the recent version of lwIP and the previous people working on this are not reachable.

I have therefore decided working on this and I would like to go the following way.

- The first hook in lwIP would be in the general ip processing right before the ip_forward code. If the paket is taken by the NAT no other processing is necessary. Right now it looks like:

  /* packet not for us? */
  if (netif == NULL) {
    /* packet not for us, route or discard */
LWIP_DEBUGF(IP_DEBUG | LWIP_DBG_TRACE | 1, ("ip_input: packet not for us.\n"));
#if NAT_SUPPORT
    /* check if we want to perform NAT with this paket. */
    if ( ip_nat_out(p, iphdr,inp) ) {
    } else
#endif
#if IP_FORWARD
    /* non-broadcast packet? */
    if (!ip_addr_isbroadcast(&(iphdr->dest), inp)) {
      /* try to forward IP packet on (other) interfaces */
      ip_forward(p, iphdr, inp);
    } else

- The second hook is before the IP input processing when the paket has a destination for the local host. In this case a check on the internal NAT tables is made. Right now it looks like:

#if NAT_SUPPORT
  if (ip_nat_input(p, inp) != 0 )
  {
     LWIP_DEBUGF(IP_DEBUG, ("ip_input: paket consumed by nat layer\n"));
  } else
#endif
#if LWIP_RAW
  /* raw input did not eat the packet? */
  if (raw_input(p, inp) == 0)
#endif /* LWIP_RAW */

 - Configuration of the NAT layer would look like:

     new_nat_entry.out_if = ( struct netif * )arg;
     new_nat_entry.in_if = ( struct netif * )&EMAC_if;
     IP4_ADDR( &new_nat_entry.source_net, 213, 129, 231, 168 );
     IP4_ADDR( &new_nat_entry.source_netmask, 255, 255, 255, 248 );
     IP4_ADDR( &new_nat_entry.dest_net, 10, 0, 0, 0 );
     IP4_ADDR( &new_nat_entry.source_netmask, 255, 0, 0, 0 );
     ip_nat_init( &new_nat_entry );

I need the source and destination interfaces on the NAT interface to get the IP address which should be used for outgoing "nated" paket. The input interface is required for the same reasons. I think we could also use IP addresses to specifiy this but this would not be any better for the users in my opinion.

Questions/Poblems so far.

- I am currently forwarding pakets between PPP and ethernet over NAT. This works right now but I had some problems with space for the headers because PPP and ethernet headers have different sizes and if forwarding from PPP to ethernet the ethernet header does not fit. I am using a code like below for this:

        /* Since we are forwarding we must assure that there are enough
         * paket headers for the link level layer.
         */
        q = pbuf_alloc( PBUF_LINK, sizeof( struct eth_hdr ), PBUF_RAM );
        if( NULL != q )
        {
                pbuf_cat( q, p );
                pbuf_header( q, -sizeof( struct eth_hdr ) );
if( ERR_OK != ( err = ip_nat_icmp_table[ i ].cfg->in_if->output( ip_nat_icmp_table[ i ].cfg->in_if, q, ( struct ip_addr * )&( iphdr->dest ) ) ) )
                {
LWIP_DEBUGF( NAT_DEBUG, ("ip_nat_in: failed to send rewritten paket. link layer returned %d\r\n", err ) );
                }

My question is now how I can find the size of the headers depending on the interface type. Otherwise I would always need to allocate the maximum size.

- The normal forwarding code can not handle PPP/Ethernet pakets due to the header problem I have mentioned. Would a patch similar than the code above be useful?

Still we would miss the following for a fullimplementation

- We would need some defragmentation code to handle fragmented UDP and TCP pakets correctly. This is the most difficult one but is not need by my customer right now. Still I would like to have the opportunity to add this later. Are there some design issues I should take care of right now?

 - We would need a more user friendly configuration interface for the NAT.

- We should have the possiblity to add application specific hooks - For example for FTP forwarding or something like this.

My status right now is that I have a basic version already working where I can forward and nat pakets between a PPP link and an ethernet link.

Thanks for any comments and feedback on this,
        Christian

--
Embedded Solutions                     | DI Christian Walter