lwip-users

[lwip-users] lwip stall

From: PELISSIER Christophe
Subject: [lwip-users] lwip stall
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:53:35 +0200

Hi all,

I am using currently lwip 1.2 coming with the VDK4.5.
I have currently no way to upgrade to lwip 1.3.
my hardware is using a BF532 from analog device connected to a SMC91C111 (MAC + PHY)

I'm facing some issues. The Ethernet communication of my system is stalling. the way to trigger this issue is not controlled:
- connecting and disconnecting the RJ45 cable may be a trigger
- putting the system in a satured network may be a trigger
- having a communication with lot's of lost packets may also be a trigger

in any cases the lwip stack is running but no packet is received nor transmitted. It seems that all the Ethernet buffers are marked as "in use" so no more free buffer is available for incoming nor outgoing frames.

I currently do not know if the "in use" packets are :
- gathered in the stack waiting for acknowledgement
- lost due to a malfunction of the Ethernet driver.

In case those buffers are inside the lwip stack waiting for acknowledgement, i guess a timer mechanism should be implemented to free the buffer if no acknowledgement is received. am i right? what is the process for this buffer release mechanism? what is the maximum time the packet will stays "in use" in that case?

Regards,
Christophe