lwip-users

[lwip-users] How to build LwIP1.3.0 for Xilinx PPC405

From: Lou Cypher
Subject: [lwip-users] How to build LwIP1.3.0 for Xilinx PPC405
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:41:22 +0200

Kevin,
you should look for application note XAPP1026 from Xilinx, that documents and
provides code for their MAC implementation.

Be warned, however: lwIP can be included in "Software Platform Settings" (I did
it with Microblaze, I think it's way similar with PPC), but it doesn't give you
all the options for compiling lwIP.
I needed to enable LWIP_NETIF_HOSTNAME, and the only way out has been
 a) copying all the setting generated automatically by SDK for lwIP,
 b) removing lwIP from "Software Platform Settings",
 c) copying in my project sources from
"\Xilinx\10.1\EDK\sw\ThirdParty\sw_services\lwip130_v1_00_a\"
 d) patching the missing files from what I saved in step a), because some
sources are SDK generated, like file "xtopology_g.c"

Again, be careful if you use Xilinx' example code: there are unused functions,
functions that don't always return a value while they should (missing "return"),
unused variables allocated, etc., and the standard compiler settings don't even
raise a warning for such events
It's a good example of how to *not* write C code.

And it's even been worse in my case, since I had conflicting header names with
some existing source code that I can't modify, so I had to create a library for
lwIP (and it's almost undocumented how to do that in SDK).

Lou