lwip-users

Re: RE: [lwip-users] Sizes

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: RE: [lwip-users] Sizes
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:15:54 +0200

> BTW which checksum algorithm did base your
> assembly code on?  Does anyone know which of the checksum algorithms is the
> fastest?

Unfortunately, that depends largely on your platform. The best thing to do is
to try all of them: call them in a loop on a data buffer that is bigger than
your caches and see which one finishes first.

> I'm a little surprised that other than the call overhead that an
> assembly version of memcpy is much faster than what the complier produces
> from the library?

The difference here is not C or assembly but 'standard' library (written in C,
used on many platforms) or hand-written code that performs well on your
specific platform. And let me tell you there *is* room for improvement here.
For example, some C libraries use byte-by-byte copy if compiled with the
'wrong' options... Nevertheless, the standard library often is not too bad when
copying a well-aligned source to a well-aligned destination.

Simon
--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss