lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip with network hubs

From: Bandu
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip with network hubs
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:36:41 +0000

Actually only 2 device (PC + ethernet to serial) attaching to the the hub.
I'll look into the MAC.

thanks.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:08 PM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
Are there any other devices on the network? I'd expect your hardware is too slow to keep up with full wire speed receiving and that's what you get with a hub when there are many devices talking over the net (as with a hub you get *every* packet, not only broadcast packets like you do with a switch).

If you want to be able to work on a hub, you should try to filter out packets that are not for you as quickly as possible. Most MACs have a filter that only lets broadcast packets or packets with a specific target MAC to the driver and discards all others. Enabling that should give the same result with a hub and a switch.

Aside from that, there are no specific issues known for lwIP with a hub, but any problem you have appears more often the more packets you receive, I guess.

Simon

Bandu wrote:
Hi,
 I'm devloping ethernet to serial converter using lwip 1.3.0.
When I'm using with a network switch, it connect fine and data transfer can do more than a week without any interruption.
 But when I plug it in to network hub, 10BaseT or 100BaseT (10BaseT is the worse), I got lots of problem. transmission delays, connection dropping from both lwip side and PC side. PC side i'm using TDI client driver. When use with network hub, the error starting to occurred within under 10 mins.
 When i capture the packets with wireshark, I got many retransmission packets sometime 4-5 retransmission.
 Can anyone suggest, how can I debug the issue or is there any known issue related to this?
 Thank you very much in advance.

--
Bandu
address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>