lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP Process Model confusion:

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP Process Model confusion:
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:17:58 +0100

> > can i exec a process instead of a thread? and how will syncronization
> > work b/w processes, if they aren't threads.
>
> Yes, you could execute a process instead of a thread.  However you would
> then, as you realise, have to re-write the other parts of sys_arch.c to
> use inter-process communication, rather than the simple inter-thread
> communication that they do now.  The rest of lwIP has been written not
> to know or care how communication is done between the threads/processes,
> so you can use whatever method you like for synchronisation.

Kieran, do you know that (i.e. tried it) or just saying this from
reading/knowing the code? I would expect there are some (maybe hidden) problems
where pointers are passed from thread to thread? The first thing that comes to
my mind is tcp_callback or maybe the input functions. The problem here is that
pointers are passed to sys_arch.c to be sent through an mbox without knowing
the type of data behind the pointer. I don't think this would work as it is in
a multi-process environment...

Simon
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger