lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] out of pbuf's

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] out of pbuf's
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 20:45:06 +0200

Mark Six wrote:
I was thinking it is perhaps possible to optimize the oos queue some more:
If the data in a pbuf isn't much (and the pbuf must be placed on the oos queue), the data can be copied from one pbuf to another, thereby freeing one pbuf. If the data is much the pbuf are chained together as it is now. If the data in the pbuf's isn't much, the penalty for copying is also not much. But there will be a lot more pbuf's free for reception, making the dropping of packets less.

I haven't had much time to take a look of the internals of the lwip-stack, therefore I don't know if it is possible.
The design of lwIP pbufs doesn't really allow this: you don't have information about the 'unused' size of pbufs. Of course, for PBUF_POOL pbufs, you know the size, but input packets should work with PBUF_RAM also: there is no way of knowing whether there is unused space at the end of such a pbuf.

But looking at your issue: I think we might need a limit for incoming queue pbufs the same way we have it for outgoing pbufs (tcp_pcb.queuelen) to be able limit the number of pbufs in ooseq independently of the receive window. Other areas already have this limit (the netconn receive mbox can be limited - although this might also need a configuration option to configure the default size, raw-API tcp does not queue).

Simon