lwip-users

AW: [lwip-users] what's the mean that ARP can be disabled completely?

From: Goldschmidt Simon
Subject: AW: [lwip-users] what's the mean that ARP can be disabled completely?
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:29:44 +0100

In the web http://lwip.scribblewiki.com/LwIP_version_1.3.0_release_notes, about arp, it's a message:

   LWIP_ARP option in lwipopts.h. ARP can now be disabled completely.

  According to my understanding, arp can be disabled by setting LWIP_ARP = 0 in lwipopts.h just like LWIP_UDP、LWIP_TCP
> and so on. I have chaged code in the enthernetif.c that it can be work in my target board. if setting LWIP_ARP = 1, LWIP works well,
>  but if setting LWIP_ARP = 0, it is a lot of error.

    So, I want to ask what's the mean about the message in above web! how can I do when I want to set LWIP_ARP = 0?

"ARP can now be disabled completely" meany if you only use interfaces like PPP or loopback that don't need ARP, you can set LWIP_ARP to 0 to prevent the code from being linked into your application. This means if you don't use ethernet (which *needs* ARP!!!), you can now have smaller code.

Of course this doesn't mean that you can disable ARP when using ethernet interfaces! ARP is always needed for those.

Simon