lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Question about PHY transceivers

From: Timmy Brolin
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Question about PHY transceivers
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:48:03 +0100

You cannot implement standard gigabit Ethernet without a PHY.
Simple LVDS transmitters/receivers are not compatible with gigabit Ethernet CAT5-6 signaling.

/Timmy

bonny gijzen wrote:

Hi guys,

The question I have is not a true LWIP question, but it is hardware
related (PHY transceivers), so I guess you all have experience with
them.

I have used LWIP in the past for a personal project, so I follow this
mailing list since, so I decided to raise my question here (if that is
no problem to you all).

We are currently looking at the idea to add a (CAT5-6) gigabit
sender/receiver to our (FPGA) boards.
We think using a PHY transceiver gives more benefits over LDVS
transmitters, because:

*) Most PHY transceivers I've looked at use a single 25Mhz osc
*) Have all encoding (4b5b e.o.) done inside
*) Have embedded functions like polarity correction, adaptive
equaliztion, cross-talk cancellation, echo cancelation, timing recovery
and error correction.

These are some of the features which are embedded in the devices, so we
do not need to bother with them ourselves.
Do any of you use PHY transceivers (not MAC devices) on your boards?
What are your experiences with them?
What prices must I think of in unit terms of 1000 pcs annual?

Thank you for maintaining LWIP,

Bonny