lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] netconn_write blocking

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] netconn_write blocking
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:10:48 +0100

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 08:21 +0200, Goldschmidt Simon wrote:

> > I was able to cut the amount of time for a timeout down to
> > like ~20 seconds.  This isn't great, as all of the other
> > connections will be without data for that ~20 seconds, and
>
> And that's the bad news! A better solution (which is not yet
> implemented)
> is to use send timeouts (like we have receive timeouts already).
> But as I said, it remains a todo for lwIP...

In this case with the current code it will time out eventually.  The
"problem" is that TCP is by default incredibly tolerant of a network
outage and keeps trying for a very long time before giving up.  We're
exposing this very long time up to the user, which is probably the right
thing to do, but I suppose it might be desirable to give the user the
option of having a shorter API-level timeout as well.

Kieran