lwip-users

[lwip-users] Project based on lwip - design strategies (raw vs. sequenti

From: Marko Panger
Subject: [lwip-users] Project based on lwip - design strategies (raw vs. sequential)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:38:28 +0200

Hi all,

I'm new to lwip stack and I'm climbing the learning curve. I plan to use the stack to send data to a server (and receive some) over a gprs connection. I have my own preemptive RTOS based environment and my platform is based around an ARM7 with 32kb of RAM. Flash is not a problem.

I'm a little bit confused on which interface to use for my application. As I understand RAW api gives more performance in terms of throughput wile sequential API is more application developer friendly. However throughput is not critical for my application so using sequential api seems more appropriate for me.

1) I presume RAW api is well tested as represents the lwip core. Is also sequential api tested, reliable and widely used ?

2) As I can see there are two sequential API interfaces. One is "netconn" an the other is "sockets". What's the difference ? I'm a little bit familiar with socket programming but I have no idea what "netconn" is. Please excuse my ignorance here as I might be asking nonsenses here.

3) Which version do you suggest. Should I go with 1.2 or use a CVS snapshot ? Comparing the sources it seems the major difference was in "sequential api" sources.

Thank you in advace for your comments !

Marko