lwip-users

Re: RE : [lwip-users] Broadcast packets breaking my network traffic

From: Caglar Akyuz
Subject: Re: RE : [lwip-users] Broadcast packets breaking my network traffic
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:03:30 +0300

Frédéric BERNON wrote:
> Perhaps some ideas:
>
> - Windows talk "everywhere", understand : it send lot of packets for ARP,
> uPnp, Netbios, etc... More than Linux on this point.
> - If you use a hub, and not a switch, you can have "lot" of collisions on the
> network. What is the result on a switch?
> - Do you use ARP_QUEUEING? There was a problem with this option in previous
> releases.

Yes in my port it's enabled. Should I disable it?

> - Does your ethernet driver call directly etharp_ip_input on receive? This
> could cause problems inside ARP table (concurrent access not protected), and
> "load" your target if you receive lot of packets...

Actually yes it is. However, I tried disabling it in my port while I'm
in the process of transmitting. I have not seen any enhancement. I'm
thinking if I should remove this or not...

I've read one of your posts about this issue on the list. ( December
2006, I guess). When do you think this will cause problems to me? For
example, if I disable etharp_ip_input before calling tcp_output and
re-enable it after tcp_sent, is it an enough protection? I really don't
care answering arp requests for a short period of time as long as it is
not a very very wrong move.

Caglar