lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] ping does not work

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] ping does not work
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:17:16 +0100

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 15:52 +0200, Matthias Weisser wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am finally at that point that lwIP can receive and transmit ethernet
> packets. I thought I first try a ping. But even that wont work. With
> wireshark I see the ARP request and also the response from my target
> device but then no ICMP ping is send to the device.

Are you trying to ping from somewhere else to the lwIP device, or from
the lwIP device to somewhere else?

> I have attached the ARP request/response which I captured with
> wireshark. Maybe someone sees the problem.

Which of those two is the lwIP end?

The only thing I can see that looks a bit odd is that the ARP request is
shorter (42 bytes) than the minimum for an ethernet frame (60 bytes, I
think).  However, this didn't seem to bother the other end as it send a
reply to the request, so I doubt that is the problem.

I would debug the end that is doing the ping.  It should process the ARP
response, and then be able to send the ICMP packet.  Clearly this isn't
happening, but I've no idea why, and I'm guessing this end is some other
IP stack.

Kieran