lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] BSD API tcp echo server port

From: Andrew Lentvorski
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] BSD API tcp echo server port
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:37:23 -0700

Kieran Mansley wrote:
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 03:16 -0700, Andrew Lentvorski wrote:
If someone wants to take a look at this (and hopefully incorporate it into the ports tree), let me know what procedure I should follow.

Is this something you'd be willing to maintain on an ongoing basis?

Probably not given the current organization of the lwip code.

I've gotten spoiled by scons (build system) and mercurial (distributed version control system). They let me maintain "upstreams" of projects fairly easily so that I can incorporate new patches from the original code with far less pain. In addition, I can maintain a mercurial repository alongside the main lwip code even if you don't want it as an official part of lwip. I can't do those things as easily with make and CVS/SVN.

When I have to work with make and CVS/SVN, it feels ... primitive.

Is there a Wiki or something that I could put a repository or zip/tar file on? It seems a shame to just let this fade into the ether since there are zero BSD examples.

I'm operating a "no code in the ports tree unless it has an active
maintainer" policy at the moment.  I may live to regret this, but hope
to archive anything that doesn't have an active maintainer before the
next release.

I can understand that.  Time is always the most valuable.

It's disappointing that none of the vendors using lwip have contributed any documentation back in return.

Even the broken ports are better documentation than nothing. Rather than archiving and removing them, what about moving them to a "broken" subdirectory.

-a