lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP or uIP ?

From: Dmitry Potapov
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP or uIP ?
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:16:03 +0400

Hello Michael,

 I'm new both to this list and lwIP/uIP. Both lwIP and uIP seem to be
adressing embedded TCP/IP and I'm confured about which one would be best to
use.

It depends on your goals. uIP can be used even on 8-bit microcontrollers,
but it has a lot of limitations, and all work with the stack is done through
callback mechanism with a single buffer, which is used for both input and
output. So, if you transfer very little data, and all work with them is simple
enough to be implemented by a single transaction state machine then you
can use uIP. Thus, the primary use of uIP is configuration of a device that
does not need TCP/IP for its normal work. On the other hand, if your device
uses TCP/IP in the course of its normal operation, or if you want socket
interface, or if you transfer considerable amount data over the Internet then
I suggest you use lwIP.

Dmitry