lwip-users

[lwip-users] Timers & lwip tasks (a multithread question with LwIP)

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: [lwip-users] Timers & lwip tasks (a multithread question with LwIP)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:07:02 +0100

Lwip needs some "timers" for ARP (etharp_tmr), DHCP (dhcp_fine_tmr &
dhcp_coarse_tmr), SNMP (snmp_timer), etc...

My question is mainly about arp timer, because the table handled in etharp.c is
in read/write access. In several ports, I see that arp_timer is initialized by
the main() task during the netif_add(...) call (with the "init" function). But
when we use the tcpip_init, which create its own task, isn't it possible that
the arp list was "corrupt" due to a multithreaded access?

And if it's right, isn't it a better place to initialize these timers directly
in tcpip_thread(...), like the ip_timer for IP_REASSEMBLY, to be sure that only
one task will use lwip core in the same time?

Frédéric BERNON
HYMATOM SA
Chef de projet informatique
Microsoft Certified Professional