lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Compiler warnings

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Compiler warnings
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:13:54 +0100

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 13:51 +0200, Goldschmidt Simon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just wandering if anybody has looked into ANSI-compatibility for
> the last year... I found a post from 09/2004 about that (and an answer
> of Kieran, who seems to be pretty active there). But has anybody ever
> cared to do something about it?

As far as I'm aware, there has been no particular drive to improve ANSI
compatibility.  That discussion was in particular about the contrib
module, which suffers from lack of maintainers.  I'm of the opinion that
we should drop code that is not actively maintained, but I suspect that
would be unpopular!

> I get so many warnings when compiling
> lwIP that I took the effort changing most of them.

Would you like to submit a patch?

> Though in some cases (mainly pointer arithmetic -> alignment), a fast
> fix is not possible, most warnings are cast issues which could easily be
> fixed.
>
> Anyone else but me cares about that? Hope so...

It's whether they care enough to fix it that counts!  Sadly my
involvement with lwIP is pretty much limited to the mailing lists.  We
rely on bug fixes being submitted by the community of users.

Kieran