lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] wanna use lwIP as Linux2.6's TCP/IP stack

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] wanna use lwIP as Linux2.6's TCP/IP stack
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:57:16 +0000

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 08:43 +0800, Zou Sheng wrote:
> hi
>
> i'm a Chinese student,i'm sorry that my English isnt that good
>
> when i compiling Linux2.6 kernel,i found its too big,and the
> networking part is about 200k,so i wanna use lwIP to replace Linux's
> networking part,here is the question:can i compile lwIP as a module so
> i can insert it in the kernel? is there an example?

The short answer is no - the code has not been structured to allow this
directly.  However, with some work, which you would have to do yourself,
it would be possible to make a linux module that would use the lwIP code
as a TCP/IP stack.  Getting this module to replace the standard TCP/IP
stack in linux would be a much more tricky task though, so unless you've
a good idea what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend it.

Kieran