lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] UPnP on lwip

From: Robert Brown
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] UPnP on lwip
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:31:42 -0500

I built a product that contains a UPnP control point using lwIP.  We use
UPnP to automatically discover and manage Internet Gateways.  Sending and
receiving multicast UDP was no problem.  All you need to do is create a
network interface with the UPnP IP multicast address.  Strictly speaking,
AutoIP is not really required but I guess it depends on what your product is
supposed to do.  As far as I know, lwIP does not do AutoIP.

As for pleasure or pain...
It wasn't all that painful to build the UPnP control point.  I haven't built
a UPnP device and so can't comment on that.
The most daunting part for me was where to get an xml library.  My product
runs a proprietary OS so there was nothing readily available.  In the end, I
found an open source UPnP SDK from Intel.  I used the xml library from the
SDK and built the rest of it from scratch on top of lwIP.  If you are
building a fairly simple device or control point then I would suggest that
you take a hard look at your make/buy decision.  You may be better off doing
it yourself.

I don't have a link to the Intel SDK but I do have the original source code.
The license permits distribution of the source.  If you want to have a look
then send me an email at address@hidden and I will make it available
to you.

The biggest pain was in achieving interoperability with the devices I needed
to discover and control.  The implementations vary quite a bit from vendor
to vendor so lots of testing and tweaking was required.

Regards,
Robert Brown