lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] arp question

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] arp question
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:52:45 +0100

Hello Jim,

Jim Gibbons wrote:

In the matter of ARP, I think some concurrent access protection might be in order in common use scenarios. Perhaps it should be noted in comments so that callers could do it, since the callers are usually netif implementors.

I agree that it is a simple matter to get etharp_output and the timer to run out of the tcpip task. I think it is substantially harder to get etharp_ip_input and etharp_arp_input to run in that context. Most of us who implement netif's in multitasking environments end up with an ethernet receive thread from which the etharp input functions must be called. Other brave souls do this from an interrupt context. In the former case, a mutex would provide the protection required, while in the latter case SYS_LIGHTWEIGHT_PROT methods might be used to protect the timer and output.

Finally, a very broad question. Is 1.0.0 ready for prime time? I have two embedded systems currently running 0.7.2, and it has been hard for me to tell from all of the e-mail going by whether 1.0.0 would prove to be more stable or less so for these products.

Nope, we hope 1.1.0 to be of 0.7.2 stability.

The 0.7.x received excellent testing (I recall lots of embedded developers sharing test results then), but currently although we have lots of users there is relatively little feedback (but we welcome the feedback we got!).

We hope developers take the time for testing, this is a community project after all, and we cannot guarantee we are providing a fully stable TCP/IP stack, although that is our ultimate goal (and 0.7.2 proves to be that,
although we now now it has some glitches in corner cases).

Regards,

Leon.