lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] sending an ip adress to a ethernet boxwithout knowing t

From: Anders Carlman
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] sending an ip adress to a ethernet boxwithout knowing the ip but the MAC
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:29:35 +0100

> There is no query method implemented (for actively asking the network hosts
> who belongs with the known MAC). Which RFC should this be from?

Check out "RFC 1293 - Inverse Address Resolution Protocol", which performs
MAC-IP resolution. Unfortunately it isn't a very common protocol. I've tried
sending INARP queries from lwIP (made some additions) to Win2000 and Redhat
Linux and neither of them seemed to respond. However, the lwIP-query itself was
correctly identified as "INARP query" by Ethereal (the protocol analyzer). So
it seems one would have implement it in both ends...

Regards
Anders