lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Status of PPP implementation

From: Peter Graf
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Status of PPP implementation
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:33:10 +0200

Jacob,

can you please avoid top posting, thanks. My previous message:

>> SLIP has no builtin support for dynamic address assignment, but a SLIP
>> server can print your IP address (as well as the server's address) when you
>> connect. You can capture these numbers from the output of the server and
>> use them to configure the lwIP SLIP device.

You wrote:

In the system I'm working on, both client and server are embedded systems, so I've no such option.

Use of an embedded system doesn't keep you from letting the server print the IP addresses upon connect. (That is, if you have means to detect connect. If not, you have a problem with PPP, too.)

For now, only one server and one client would be connected together, but in the near future I expect several clients to connect to the same server, using a 485-based network.

If you use RS485, each slave unit needs a unique address prior to establishing IP connection anyway. Have you considered a fixed mapping between this address and the IP?

Peter