lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Status of PPP implementation

From: Peter Graf
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Status of PPP implementation
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:40:13 +0200

Jacob,

One of the reasons I'm going for PPP is because of it's auto-negotiating feature. To my knowledge SLIP has no such feature, and I think that's a need-to-have. I definitely want my highly embedded system to be able to fetch an IP of it's own.

Maybe I've missed something!?

SLIP has no builtin support for dynamic address assignment, but a SLIP server can print your IP address (as well as the server's address) when you connect. You can capture these numbers from the output of the server and use them to configure the lwIP SLIP device.

Peter