lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] ping out?

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] ping out?
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:36:47 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Ed Sutter wrote:
> 2. I would like the ability to "ping out", so bring it on!

This would probably be a useful feature for many, but I wonder if it's the
right way to do it.  For my own (heavily modified) version of lwIP I've
gone down the SOCK_RAW route, and ported the ping application.  This is
not particularly straightforward though, and I don't think I ever got it
100% working - its been a while since I looked at it.  It is also probably
a bit overkill if people just want to be able to send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST
packets, rather than all the other things that SOCK_RAW would allow.

So, what do other people think?

On one side we have SOCK_RAW:
 - comprehensive
 - standard interface
 - useful for other things?
 - more code, more complex
 - needs someone to do it!

On the other side we have the callback method done by Larry:
 - just does ECHO_REQUEST
 - simple, lightweight
 - less code (I'm guessing)
 - non-standard interface
 - has already been done!

Maybe we should go for the later now, but aim for the former in the long
term?  Opinions?

Kieran