lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] New researcher

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] New researcher
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 15:48:28 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Azurati wrote:
> 1) What kind of througput will the processor have to handle?
> 2) How many users will use the application?
> 3) How many resources does the application need?

These are all dependent on your application and have nothing to do with
the TCP/IP stack, and really only you can answer them.  For example, if
you are hoping that your robot will be used by lots of people then
obviously the answers to these questions will be much larger than if it is
just you controlling the robot.  The throughput will depend very much on
exactly what the webserver is controlling.  Again, by way of example, if
the control for the robot is a simple web page with a few buttons to say
"go left", "go right", etc then the throughput required will be much less
than if the robot is serving a real time video stream of what it can see.

> 4) How will the application interface with the server?

This depends on the web server, and to some extent on the TCP/IP stack.
If I were doing this I would integrate the application with the web server
so that the state the web server needs to produce the web pages is easily
accessible.  The web server can then either use the sockets API (in the
normal way) or the higher performance/lower overhead event API that lwIP
provides.

Hope that helps,

Kieran