lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Upgrading to 0.6.1/2

From: Peter Graf
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Upgrading to 0.6.1/2
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:58:04 +0200

Hi,

Just an update for anyone upgrading from lwip 0.5.3. One thing to make sure is that you notice that sys_arch_mbox_fetch and sys_arch_sem_wait now return 0xffffffff instead of 0 for timeouts.

Well, that was quite obvious ;-) It is nicely documented, so it was one of the first things I changed.

Much less obvious are the necessary changes in ethernet drivers. The example ethernetif.c just says that it isn't up to date anymore. I had a quite hard time to get my driver from 0.5.3 to 0.6.2.

Among several other things it is important to have a close look at struct netif (netif.h) and take care that all entries are initialized, e.g. hwaddr_len (!). Also it can hardly be avoided to read
etharp.c.

I'm not sure which Ethernet driver is most up-to-date and may be recommended as an example, but for me, a look at the Coldfire implementation was helpful when going from 0.5.3 to 0.6.2, rather
than the Unix port.

In general, I like most of the changes in the lwIP structure. The portability has improved from
release to release. Thanks to all contributors for their work!

All the best
Peter