lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Performance Tuning?

From: David Haas
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Performance Tuning?
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:27:35 -0400

Hi David,

I would really recommend you port your code to the latest version of lwip. It has many bug fixes and performance improvements.

Take a look at the coldfire version of lwipopts.h in the contrib/ports/coldfire area. I tried hard to optimize for some performance. I think lwip is quite sensitive to the pbuf size. You want to make sure that is a decent size (1024 or bigger).

One other thing you want to watch out for is how you output data via TCP. You want to make sure your writes have a relatively large amount of data in them. I wrote a telnet server and was using that as a console for my application. I was getting terrible performance, but I found out that the code was basically calling a putc() routine for every character that wound up in a separate tcp frame. No wonder it was so slow. I implemented a buffering scheme in my pseudo-terminal layer and it improved performance immensely. I have'nt measured real performance quantitatively yet. At some point I have to implement an ftp server and I will probably do it then.

How are you measuring performance?

Regards,
David.

David Ryan wrote:

Hi All..

Another question.. I thought I'd keep it seperate from the last post as its on a rather different subject. Users of our implementation(based on lwip 0.5.3) have been complaining that the performance they get from the stack is around 150kb/sec - 350kb/sec using a 100mbit ethernet adapter. This seems to be way below the theoretical maximum and below the 1.5mb/sec people are getting using ps2linux on the same hardware.

I realise that performance can be effected by many things, however I'd like to know if there is any documentation or experience from people on how best to tune lwipopts.h for better performance when dealing with streaming data. Obviously some values relate to each other. The question is which values relate to each other and how.. and how should they be managed to get the best performance.

Thanks,
David.