lwip-users

[lwip-users] None

From: Sergio PérezAlcañiz
Subject: [lwip-users] None
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:48:52 +0100 (CET)

>I'm not sure I follow quite what it is you're trying to do, so I've
>forwarded this to the developers mailing list in case anyone there has a
>better idea.
>
>It sounds like you want to distribute your port of lwIP and you're
>wondering what to do about licencing it?  Is this correct?

Yes, that's right.

>Firstly, is
>there a reason why you want to change the licence to be GPL rather than
>the existing BSD-style licence?

Yes, all the work done in my group is released under the terms of the GPL
Version 2 License. As BSD-style license is too little restrictive, anyone can
take your code and close it under a private license (preserving the disclaimer,
that doesn't say too much), and sell your work. GPL assures that that will never
happen, as all changes must be reported and redistributed with GPL license.

>You may risk annoying those people who
>have developed lwIP if you re-release your port as GPL as some of them
>will be unable to use it.

Why not?? GPL code is open, anyone can modify it, add things, and more, but
always under the terms of the license which say you must keep the license and
author names, copyright, etc.. Those little restrictions added by GPL are those
we need, and maybe lwip-users also.

> If you must release your changes as GPL, could
>you not just release a patch (with whatever licence you want) and the
>standard lwIP code (with its existing licence) separately.

I could, but with new lwip distributions I would need to develope a patch.
Anyways it would be haaaard to write as I modify almost all files (not protocols
code).

I still don't know what's the problem. I thought that lwip was distributed under
the BSD-style license just because anyone can take the code and do any changes
and apply the license they want. I mean, THEY WANT. I think that closing BSD
license to a private one is not impossible. It is??

> If you just
>want a way to distribute your port, then we would be happy to merge it
>into the tree on savannah.

Great, but I'll keep an own web in order to distribute it (I must to...
orders).