lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] socket changes and lightweight protection

From: David Haas
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] socket changes and lightweight protection
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 12:48:31 -0500

Ed,

Good idea. That is exactly what I intended.

David.

Ed Sutter wrote:

David,
A suggestion (in case you hadn't already considered this)...
The sys_arch_protect() and unprotect() functions should be
able to deal with nesting...

  pval = sys_arch_protect();
      pval = sys_arch_protect();
      sys_arch_unprotect(pval);   <<--- should not cause an unprotect
  sys_arch_unprotect(pval);

Agree?  It's similar to uC/OS's critical section type 3.
Ed

David Haas wrote:
I have been meaning to integrate the select() code into the source tree,
but last week I was very busy on a different project :-( .

If it is OK with everybody, I will work on integrating all these socket
changes and hope to have it done in a day or two. I will do some
(limited) testing before I check it in.

Also, I had put in some lightweight protection into pbuf and memp code
(in a patch) which disabled interrupts. Several people commented on this
and thought that we should not be disabling interrupts. I agree that on
many systems this is undesirable. So how about a sys_arch_protect() and
sys_arch_unprotect(). This can then be implemented differently on
different systems.

Any comments???

David.