lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Using lwIP with CS8900A on Atmel 89C51

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Using lwIP with CS8900A on Atmel 89C51
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:06:12 -0000

HI Bilal!

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 16.07, you wrote:
> 1. I want to know if anyone has tried lwIP on 8051? What are the min/max
> RAM/ROM requirements? It depends on the application so lets say a process
> that would do the following:
>
>   a. Wait for input from the keypad (udp client)
>   b. Send out the number (cs8900a)
>   c. Wait for input from the server application (udp server)

If you are willing to sacrifice TCP, you really get the code size down. TCP
is nearly 50% of the total code in the core lwIP code. I don't know how large
lwIP would be for the 8051 but I would suspect somewhere around 20-30k of
code for the full stack (including TCP) and perhaps 10k without TCP. Andrea,
perhaps you could comment on this? The RAM requirements for the application
you describe shouldn't be too much. A couple of k RAM would probably be
enough.

> 3. Can I code my application in assembly language and call the C based lwIP
> and CS8900A functions from assembly?

Yes, that is no problem.

/adam
--